Conservative Manifesto 2010 Change the Economy Benchmarks for Britain
For the first time, the British people will have eight clear and transparent benchmarks against which they can judge the economic success or failure of the next government. We will be accountable and open. These are the eight Benchmarks for Britain. Achieving them over the next Parliament will mean we have put Britain back on its feet and are building a new British economic model, very different from the debt-driven economy of recent years.
1. ensure macroeconomic stability: We will safeguard britain’s credit rating with a credible plan to eliminate the bulk of the structural deficit over a Parliament. Our fiscal policy will seek to help keep interest rates lower for longer. the independent bank of england will continue to target 2 per cent Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation, and will use its new role in prudential supervision to preserve financial stability.
2. Create a more balanced economy: We will create the conditions for higher exports, business investment and saving as a share of Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
3. get britain working again: We will reduce youth unemployment and reduce the number of children in workless households as part of our strategy for tackling poverty and inequality.
4. encourage enterprise: We will improve Britain’s international rankings for tax competitiveness and business regulation.
5. ensure the whole country shares in rising prosperity: We will increase the private sector’s share of the economy in all regions of the country, especially outside London and the South east.
6. reform public services to deliver better value for money: We will raise productivity growth in the public sector in order to deliver better schools and a better nhS.
7. Create a safer banking system that serves the needs of the economy: We will reform the regulation and structure of the banking system to ensure lower levels of leverage, less dependence on unstable wholesale funding, and greater availability of credit for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
8. build a greener economy: We will reduce UK greenhouse gas emissions and increase our share of global markets for low carbon technologies.
Copyright ©, The Conservative Party, 30 Millbank, London, SW1P 4DP. All rights reserved. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.